Thursday, October 04, 2007

Favorite assignment

In two classes I have already given out one of my favorite in-class writing prompts:

Write three paragraphs. 1. Tell me what you are doing to be successful in this class. 2. Tell me what you can do to be more successful in this class. 3. Tell me what you need from me so that you can be more successful in this class.

I like that the students often start strong: I attend class, I read the assignments, I turn in my work on time. All of these are admirable traits.

Then comes the humbling: I can read more. I can pay more attention to when assignments are due. I could come to class more. Yes, all of this is also admirable.

The answers to the last question are either usually positive though I do not say this to toot my own horn. Some are amusing (give less homework). Some are negotiable (I don't put assignments on the board because they are in the syllabus, but I understand why you would like that).

I've seen an increase in effort, though, based on this prompt and will use it in my other classes soon!

No comments: