Wednesday, November 14, 2007

New Course

The English folks want to keep trying to offer a "Special Topics" literature course, but since my Intro to the Novel class was cancelled for this Fall, I'm nervous about offering another. What courses will students sign up for?

We've offered two with great success: Supernatural/Horror Fiction and Banned Books. I tossed around ideas about genre fiction (but what should I call it it to garner attention? Naughty Novels and Western Wonders? Blechk.), and then my hubby asked why I didn't teach "those darn travel books that you talk about all the time?" You see, I've been on a Bill Bryson binge. I started reading A Walk in the Woods last summer after a colleague mentioned she used it in her Nature Writers course. I loved it and bought all his other travel books (and one on the English language). His other titles include (in the order I read them):

  • Notes from a Small Island (which is about his travels through the United Kingdom)
  • I'm a Stranger Here Myself (a collection of essays about moving back and adapting to America after 20 years abroad)
  • The Lost Continent (traveling across America)
  • Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe (as the title suggests, it documents his trip through numerous European countries)
  • Bill Bryson's African Diary (a small hardcover--proceeds to go a non-profit organization--about a quick jaunt into Africa)
  • In a Sunburned Country (travels across Australia)

Of course, he was on to something. I am excited by the possibilities of a class on travel literature. I can use a Bryson text, of course, and I can also use travel blogs, biographers of travelers, poetry like Wordsworths' The Prelude, novels like Gulliver's Travels, and so on. I thought about Whitman's Song of the Open Road but the excessive use of exclamation points remind me of bad emails and, frankly, irritates me.

Ideas for marketing: Escape winter! Take Travel Literature!

There's a lot of planning to do for this: what authors to include, do I limit the class to certain eras or geographies? How to blend fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc. into a cohesive approach to the topic of travel writing. What kind of projects? It's not a writing class, but it would be fun to have the students create their own travelogue of sorts. At the very least, have them research and write about places they would like to visit.

This reminds me of the blog created based on Samuel Peyps' diary. I think this is a great way to update the text for modern students. I would love to see this done for Dorothy Wordsworth's Grasmere journal.

No comments: