Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ugh.

Today in my 1101 class, the lesson did not go so well. They were bored. How can I spice up thesis statements and an overview of the writing process? Maybe I don't talk about it at all...it will show up in the course after all. Maybe I just needed more than five hours of sleep to convey excitement about narrowing a topic and devising a controlling idea.

Maybe the students were as tired. Many didn't seem to enjoy the Anne Lamott excerpts about shitty first drafts, a piece usually guaranteed to induce quite a few chuckles. Hmmm...hopefully just an off day.

Regardless, I've noted for next time: more group work/hands-on activities for teaching narrowing and thesis statements.

2 comments:

Zach said...

Professor Cobb here at Bemidji State uses the Lamott excerpts you mention in her classes. I enjoyed them, of course, but I admit they didn't influence my writing style too much. I still revise as I write, then again afterwards, but rarely can I bear to move on when the previous sentence just doesn't get across what I want it to.

The thing that got me interested in rough first drafts were the potential stories that seem to appear out of nowhere when Cobb forced us to write a page in ten minutes! I think that's the closest I come to using first drafts in the way Lamott suggests.

Here's hoping your kids find some more enthusiasm!

Jenn said...

Yea. I can appreciate that they may not write that way, but rarely do students not even crack a smile at some of her descriptions! :)