Monday, January 05, 2009

Email Purge

To continue the theme of purging unnecessary clutter:

Today I purged my Groupwise (email) inbox. I haven't quite deleted the 300 messages in my inbox, but they are archived and sorted into the appropriate folders. Then I went through my archive and sorted the 1000+ messages there. Tonight or tomorrow I shall delete with a vengeance. I've heard of the systems of sorting by "do now" "do tomorrow" "do soon" but that system doesn't work for me. Many of the emails I get are not action items but informative material that I may need to refer to later. I guess I could save them in a folder on my computer, but it is so much easier to access/sort when it is in Groupwise.

I did delete a plethora of email though, and by midterm I will comfortably delete all student email from this past fall. I hang on to those for a little while just in case a question/issue comes up.

I currently have 2 emails in my inbox and will "deal with" those tomorrow!

1 comment:

Crystal Jensen said...

For God's sake, Jenn! Don't delete the emails I will be needing you to forward to me, as I lack the ability to hang on to anything. (That, you should know, is a "syndrome" in itself.) Together, we make a fine, cooperative, co-dependent, co-advising colleagues.

Good work on your quest for simplicity. This purging can really complicate things, though. Isn't that ironic?