Friday, November 16, 2007

Books for this weekend

I had time to kill between class and a meeting today, so I ran into our library to see what it had to offer in terms of literature, periodicals, and general resources for a class on travel literature. I was pleased to find the Fall 2007 issue of Out Traveler. I didn't even know this existed, but it will be fun to read. They also subscribe to Outside, which features articles on destinations. One caught me eye: "the World's 30 Greatest Trips Ever." I am fascinated.

The books I picked up include

  • Conquer the Impossible by Mike Horn (journey around the Artic Circle)
  • The Silenced Cry by Ana Tortajada (a woman's diary of her trip to Afghanistan)
  • True North by Bruce Henderson (Peary and Cook's journey to the North Pole)
  • Queenan Country by Joe Queenan (a trip to England)
  • Imaginary London by Anna Quindlen (all about literary London)

I returned to my office at around 1pm, started skimming Quindlen's book, and before I knew it, I had finished it! At 2:30, I closed the book and transported myself back to the here and now. I don't believe I'll use it for my class, but it was a great read, nonetheless.

Other ideas right now include some Lewis and Clark (for the regional factor) and a colleague suggested writings by Theodore Roosevelt and Bruce Chatwin. She also reminded me of the title of the movie in theaters currently: Into the Wild.

Lots of research to do, but it will be a pleasure to do it!

No comments: